January 23, 2006

January 2006 part one Costa Rica

Saturday 21 Jan 2006

It's a new school year for Central America and I am off to see 'my kids' to school. 110 in Costa Rica and 174 in Nicaragua. My first day is always the best in Costa Rica. The kids and I reunite each time and it is SO much fun! As some of you know after living in Costa Rica for almost 4 years and visiting continuously since I left at the end of 2001 , some of these kids are truly children of my heart. Bob Saar is joining me for this trip to film a video with hopes of a PR video for Empowerment International as well as perhaps a documentary. This is a collaborative effort with Alex Andrew's The Community Project We had a lot fun with this as well.


Tom M. with some boys

Bob and I met a former 4th grade teacher on the plane from Chicago named Tom and we invited him to join us in the barrio in Alajuela for a day before his week long retreat. Well, Tom had so much fun he was like a kid! Tonight he called from his jungle lodge to tell me he never experienced anything like that before.


Sunday Jan 22, 2006
Sunday was a mixed day. Since Bob had never seen a volcano we went to one that is very close, called Volcan Poas. We were joined by my good friend Rafa. While I have been to Poas almost every time a visitor comes, it is still fun to see, and it always has a unique 'look' to it. This picture was one of my most unique ones I have gotten....it was stormy up there (believe it or not chilly too) and we had to wait quite a while for the clouds to blow over.


On the way home we purchased bags of strawberries for the kids whom we planned to visit afterwards. The road to and from Poas is called the land of eternal spring and there are always strawberries there! Yum!

When we got to the barrio the kids were thrilled with the treat we brought. They are truly more precious and exciting to the kids than candy! It was hard to hand them out equitablly!!!And my popularity went up 10 fold!











No comments: